Make your home trending for 2020 with these 5 easy ways!
Photo By: Elle Decor
We’re just over a month into the new year and there’s no better way to start fresh than with a refreshed, redesigned home—especially if cleaning and organizing were two of your resolutions! If you’re looking for some inspiration, you’re in the right place. In this article, we’ll go over 5 simple ways you can upgrade the aesthetics of your home.
1. Keep it Clean
Cleaning is arguably the most important part of maintaining your home, but it’s often the most difficult to do. To make a big impact on the appearance and feeling of your household, a quick clean could do the trick! Here are a few cleaning tips to help you stay motivated beyond spring cleaning season.
1. Rather than picking one room to clean, focus on one task and cover the whole house. Like vacuuming, for example. Start with the bedrooms, then move on to the common areas. Once you’re done, move onto the next task.
2. Disinfect countertops and surfaces regularly. Light switches, kitchen counters, remotes, and doorknobs easily collect germs and dust.
3. Sweep first, mop next. This one seems obvious, but that doesn’t make it any less noteworthy! Sweeping will collect straggling hairs, crumbs, and dust particles that you don’t want to get caught in your mop.
4. Let bathroom cleaner sit before wiping down. For the deepest clean, it’s important to let your bathroom cleaning solvent sit so that it has time to dissolve and cleanse away stains.
5. Declutter before you begin! If you have a hard time getting your house completely clean, it might be because you have too much clutter. Clutter creates more nooks and crannies for you to dust and it can also make your space look more chaotic than cohesive. Which brings us to our next tip…
2. Minimize Clutter
There are two types of people in this world, those who love to organize and those who couldn’t imagine a worse way to spend their weekend. If you fall into the latter camp, you might have a hard time getting motivated, but here are a few helpful hacks to make decluttering much more manageable.
1.Create three piles for quick organization:
* Donate items to Goodwill or sell online using Poshmark or OfferUp
* Limbo: Place these items in a box temporarily and keep the box in a spare closet in your home for one month. If you need an item in the box next month, keep it and donate the rest.
2. Make sure everything has a home.
* Get organized by creating more storage spaces in your home. Everything from throw blankets and pillows to games and TV consoles should have a place to live. Class up plastic storage bins by opting for a credenza or sideboard like these ones from Hooker Furniture instead!
3. Organize on a regular basis.
* Organizing doesn’t have to be a big Sunday project! If you make an effort to put things away as they’re taken out, you won’t have much to clean up by the time the weekend rolls around.
Photo By: AD
3. Bring in Some Greenery
One of the easiest ways to transform a space is to bring in some greenery. Not only are they a wonderful design addition, but they also have some emotional and physical health benefits, too. Certain houseplants like Snake Plants, Spider Plants, and Dragon Trees act as natural air purifiers and thrive in indoor settings. While they don’t require much attention, those who want an option that’s even more low-maintenance might opt for plants of the succulent variety. Aloe Veras are easy to care for, though they do need substantial sunlight, and they also act as a natural air cleanser. Check out this post from The Sill to find out why you need plants in your life and which one(s) may be right for you and your space!
4. Incorporate New and Old
To create a unique aesthetic in your home, try incorporating both new and old items. A new mid-century inspired bed frame and a vintage Persian rug would create a balanced and cozy aesthetic you’ll admire for years to come.
Photo By: AD
5. Play with color
Another simple, inexpensive way to upgrade the aesthetics in your home is to paint an accent wall. Don’t be afraid to use some bright colors like Golden Hour, Matcha Latte, or Sriracha from Clare Paints.
Use these five tips to help you upgrade your home and share your results in the comments below!